An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

Problem: The fantasy scenes from Elias' perspective are cool and all, but every time I try to visualize them, I know I'm getting something wrong. Because in my head, what I'm reading appears ridiculous. Apparently this book has been slated for a movie deal, and I hope to god that that deal goes through because I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is all supposed to work.

Plus: The way Sabaa Tahir both describes unspeakable trauma and horror and the way it's so perfectly written into An Ember In The Ashes is intense and perfect for the setting.

Problem: I know there are some scenes in this book that are supposed to be super fucked up, but it doesn't do it for me. For some reason a bunch of ****** doesn't have the full effect it should. Why the long face, Elias?

Problem: I'm 216 pages in and it still feels like I'm in the opening act.

Problem: Odd magical creatures suddenly appear with only a previous vague description several dozen pages ago.

Problem: I repeat, I am 216 pages into this book and THE THING THAT IS ON THE DESCRIPTION BLURB STILL HASN'T HAPPENED AND I'M PISSED.

Problem: I thought this was going to be a fantasy epic but I'm starting to think of it as a fantasy...meh.

Plus: Umm...explored some things I haven't seen often in fiction...?